Sentencing in WA
Understand how the legal system works here in W.A. Grasping this information is crucial if you are in a situation where you are about to be sentenced.
In recent years mandatory sentencing became commonplace in our legal system. Lawson Legal, along with numerous other groups of legal professionals disagree with this practice for several reasons including:
- Undermine standing laws and statutes
- Restrict judicial freedom of choice
- Eliminate allowances for special circumstances
- The outcome frequently has skewed results that bring about unjust results
- Specific groups are vulnerable to mandatory sentencing laws and as a result receive disproportionate punishment especially juveniles, the mentally ill, and Indigenous Australians
You need an experienced legal team in your corner during the sentencing phase of your trial. Lawson Legal can oversee the judge’s pronouncement and make sure you are not a victim of mandatory sentencing gone awry.